Thursday, June 19, 2008

Slinging epitaths makes me sick!

I went to the Republican Party of Texas State Convention. What I saw was a party that was diverse and held limitless opportunities for women, racial, and ethnic minorities, and others. What the people on the outside saw was some idiot who had rented space selling at least one button with a terrible racial message. I am appalled that something like this had to taint a convention that has the Vice President of the state party as well as at least two members of the state supreme court who are both African-American and active in the state party. While the small group of Black Republicans may see trite, it is at least as many as the Democrats have to offer. The Texas Republicans ARE inclusive, we just don't believe in huge amounts of social programs that seemingly have solved little if anything and cost the taxpayers tremendous amounts.

My views on race are simple. Treat everyone the same as you hope to be treated yourself. In practice I was reared by my parents and grandparents. My grandmother who lived on the farm with us, was the child of a Civil War veteran (that in itself is yet another colorful saga. ) It took me a while to realize that some adjectives were as hurtful as opposed to simply (and not entirely accurately) descriptive. This said, my track record rearing my kids is pretty cut and dried. Our middle son was about eight-years-old. We were at the local ballpark waiting for one of the other kids' game to start. Our middle child and a black peer got into a minor tussle. That was fine UNTIL my kid called the other one a common racial epitaph.

When the other little boy came and told me , I whisked my son into my truck went home and screamed, hollered, and spanked him. I told him, you can tell him you dislike him 'cause he's stupid, you may hate him 'cause his hygiene is poor, you can just not like him because your personalities clash, but you are to NEVER EVER allow him to think you hold his race or anything else he has no control over against him. He got the message, as far as that goes, so did his brothers and they were not even there.

While some (perhaps even many) may stereotype people based on RACE, the real issue is class economics, cycles of poverty, and the education system's inability to bridge the education gap between the poor and the more affluent. I have already discussed the education gap in relation to international students capturing opportunities that US students should have. I will discuss the education gap more at length later on.

No comments: